Authorities have discovered suspected “human remains” inside the Ill-fated Titanic submarine that imploded last week killing five people on board.
According to the US Coast Guard, the “human remains”, were recovered from the wreckage of the Titan which have been found.
The news came hours after the announcement that debris from the Titan, collected from the seafloor more than 12,000 feet (3,658 meters) below the surface of the North Atlantic, had arrived in St. John’s, Newfoundland, AP reported.
Twisted chunks of the submersible were unloaded at a Canadian Coast Guard pier.
Recovering and scrutinising the wreckage is a key part of the investigation into why the Titan imploded last week, killing all five people on board.
The multi-day search and eventual recovery of debris from the 22-foot (6.7m) vessel captured the world’s attention.
“There is still a substantial amount of work to be done to understand the factors that led to the catastrophic loss of the Titan and help ensure a similar tragedy does not occur again,” Coast Guard Chief Capt. Jason Neubauer said in a statement released late Wednesday afternoon.
The “presumed human remains” will be brought to the US, where medical professionals will conduct a formal analysis, Neubauer said.
He added that the Coast Guard has convened an investigation of the implosion at the highest level.
The Marine Board of Investigation will analyse and test evidence, including pieces of debris, at a port in the US.
The board will share the evidence at a future public hearing whose date has not been determined, the Coast Guard said.
Neubauer said the evidence will provide “critical insights” into the cause of the implosion.
The men on board the sub included Stockton Rush, the 61-year-old CEO of OceanGate, British-Pakistani businessman Shahzada Dawood, 48, and his son Suleman, 19, and British businessman Hamish Harding, 58.
The fifth man on board, Paul-Henry Nargeolet, was a 77-year-old former French navy diver and renowned explorer.