Merit communications selects 10 best Oyo caretaker chairmen for award
Merit Communications is an organization of high repute which has been monitoring and evaluating the activities of the democratic rule in Nigeria since the beginning of the 4th Republic. As part of its core functions, the organisation conducted an opinion poll among Honourable members of the Oyo State House of Assembly based on their recently concluded tour of oversight function across all Local Government Areas and LCDAs in Oyo State.
While requesting the support and collaboration of the Oyo State House of Assembly members to administer the well-crafted, well-developed and structured questionnaire, it was stated in the letter of collaboration to the Honourable Speaker that their demonstrated commitment to good government, as evidenced by the oversight function carried out by their visit to LGAs and LCDAs, shows that development at the grassroots will never be taken with levity again.
The organisation, therefore, opined that the success of the House Members’ tour and its attendant realities should be demonstrably deployed to energise optimum performance of the appointed LGAs and LCDAs leaders with a view to: motivating the best performing LGAs and LCDAs to do more; encouraging other LGAs and LCDAs who did not make the list to better performance, inculcate the culture of commending our elected leaders when they performed well and to inform the good people of Oyo State about the revolution going on at the grassroots level of governance.
The questionnaire; (crafted based on the following criteria: Quality of projects executed, Quantity of projects executed, Relevance of projects executed, Sustainability, Transparency, Prudence and Accessibility of the LG/LCDA Chairman) was presented in digestible format to accentuate the findings of the tour undertaken by the Honourable Members. After processing and analyzing the official data garnered from the questionnaire in addition to a thoroughly executed on-the-ground assessment, the following well performing LGAs and LCDAs in the State were selected:
1. Afijio South LCDA – Hon. Ojo Sunday Akindele
2. Ibadan West LCDA – Hon.Adigun Tajudeen Adeniyi
3. Ogbomoso Central LCDA – Hon. Adeyinka Oluwaseun
4. Kajola LGA – Hon. Afolabi Adebayo Salimonu
5. Ogbomoso North LGA – Hon. Ajagbe Ibrahim A.
6. Iseyin LGA – Hon. Abilawon Mufutau
7. Ibadan North LGA – Hon. Waheed Adeniyi Akanbi
8. Saki West LGA – Hon. Busari Owolabi Mudasiru
9. Aare Latosa LCDA – Hon. Kazeem Oshoniyi
10. Ido LGA- Hon. Saka Abiona Fashola
11. Egbeda LGA – Hon. Amos Olawoyin
12. Afijio LGA – Hon. Okeleye Gbenga
13. Ibadan North East LGA – Hon. Ibrahim Akintayo
14. Ibarapa East LGA – Hon. Obalowo Gbenga
15. Iwajowa LGA – Hon. Oyinloye Jelili
16. Saki East LGA – Hon. Adeniran Ramat M.
17. Iwa LCDA – Hon. Oyediran Gideon Bolanle
18. Oriire LCDA – Hon. Bankole Lydia Monilola
19. Oyo East LGA – Hon. Arowosaye Saheed
The best ten would be objectively nominated for Award of Excellent Performance and individually contacted while the list of the successful awadees will be unveiled on the day of the event.
The award ceremony which comes up on Thursday, 28 January, 2021 at 11:00 am in the International Conference Centre, University of Ibadan, will be crowned with a lecture on ‘Local Government Development and Administration’ to be delivered by a reputable scholar from the University of Ibadan.
The organisation is employing this medium to appreciate His Excellency, Engr. Seyi Makinde, Executive Governor, Oyo State for creating an enabling environment for growth and development at the grassroots. While in the same vein, eulogising the Honourable Speaker Debo Ogundoyin and the entire honorable members, Oyo State House of Assembly for their support towards the success of this project.