Ogun State Government has ordered the reopening of all schools in the state including the Tertiary institutions, Mouthpiece NGR reports.
This was disclosed in a press statement issued on Monday in Abeokuta by Kunle Somorin, the Chief press secretary to Governor Dapo Abiodun.
According to the statement, the second phase of the reopening of schools is extended to all classes in primary and secondary schools, Technical and Vocational Colleges, and Tertiary Institutions.
However, as part of the efforts to meet the COVID-19 guidelines for school operations, the schools hours are staggered as follows for public schools.
• Primary 1 to primary 3 8.00am to 11.00am
• Primary 4 to Primary 6 12.00noon to 3.00pm
• JSS 1 to JSS3 8.00am to 11.00am
• SS1 to SS3 12.00noon to 3.00pm
• Technical and Vocational will operate their normal school hours of 8.00am to 2.00pm
Early Child Care Development and Education classes i.e 3-5 years of age will not be resuming in public schools until the next phase of schools’ reopening.
• Private schools are also expected to take necessary measures to meet the COVID-19 protocols for physical distancing, among other requirements.
• Tertiary institutions are allowed to commence reopening from 21 September, 2020 as may be determined by their respective Management.
The Statement emphasised that the COVID-19 guidelines earlier issued for reopening of schools are still in effect and include:
• Provision of Sick bays / Isolation rooms in schools.
• Training and designation of some teachers as first line responders
• Use of face masks
• Regular check of body temperature with infrared thermometers
• Provision of adequate hand washing facilities and alcohol-based sanitisers for students and teachers;
• Maintaining of physical distancing of 2 metres
• Decontamination of schools prior to resumption;
• Suspension of general assembly.
“Our approach to COVID-19 pandemic management has been deliberate, methodical, focused, inclusive and carefullybalanced between life and livelihood and this has manifested in the steps we have adopted to the reopening of schools, ensuring safety of our children whilst minimising disruption in their education.
The guidelines are applicable to all schools in the state whether private or public.
I have directed the Ministry of Education, Science and Technology to provide all public schools with the required items to meet the guidelines and private school owners are enjoined to do same.
I charge our students to take full benefits of the reopening of the schools for their education advancement and wish them a very fulfilling 2020/2021 academic year”, the Governor said.